Friday, March 9, 2012

Product review: Gilmour 196SPB Pattern Master Impulse Sprinkler on Polymer Sled Base

A lot of control over watering shape, detailed instructions for controls included


Gilmore sprinkler gives you a lot of control of how far the water shoots and the shape of the circle. I have been using it now for two weeks, and I am very pleased with its performance. This is my first sprinkler of this type so I got a bit soaked figuring out how to set it up exactly as I wanted, so I am adding detailed instructions and photos of the controls.

My goal was to set up a 220 degree semi-circle, leaving a small wedge where I can exit the basement and approach the sprinkler without getting soaked. The distance of how the sprinkler head rotates to the left or the right is control by two red levers around the head. The lever on the RIGHT hand side control how far the head rotates to the LEFT, and the lever on the LEFT hand side controls how far the head rotates to the RIGHT. (see photo)

The distance of how far the spray shoots is controlled by a red ring which pushes on the back of the head. The higher the ring is lifted the shorter is the spray, when the ring is at its lowest the water shoots the furthers away. How high the ring is lifted is controlled by the pegs that you can reach beneath the sprinkler (see photo of the sprinkler upside down). When you push on the pegs from below they raise the ring. When you push on the ring from above, you lower the ring. You can control each individual peg, so you have a lot of control and can create a pretty intricate shape for your watering needs.

If you need to the sprinkler to make 360 circle, you need to pull the medal clip towards you.

The sprinkler comes assembled with female hose-end connector with shut-off valve and male hose-end adapter. For some reason the sprinkler's shut-off valve does not want to stay facing up, so I found it easier to turn the sprinkler on and off using the shut-off valve on the spigot.

I have been watering the newly planted lawn twice a day. The sprinkler is working very well. I am pleased with precision of the watering I was able to achieve avoiding various areas that should not get wet yet getting water to everything I wanted to water.

This sprinkler worked all last summer twice a day every day.  The sprinkler was still going strong when I packed it up for the winter. I am very pleased with it.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

6 comments:

  1. Question on this product: How good a job does it do in coverage? I have in-ground rainbird impulse sprinklers that throw the water well but leave some areas under the water stream relatively unwatered, so I get a circular water pattern with a lot of the interior of the circle with less watering. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am satisfied with the coverage. If I stand at an angle that allows me to see the entire arc the water drops fall through out the arc. I don't have a way of measuring of it is totally even, of course, but I don't see any dry areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That older gray model worked well. The newer ones (green) are not as good :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still using it five years later! I'd say I got my money worth. Thanks for heads up about the new model. What issues did you have with it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I purchase one of these ~2 months ago to replace our older, yellow Gilmour Pattern Master that finally broke. The new model did not work correctly "out of the box"...the water jet caused the head assembly to rotate on the pedestal.
    It was a simple enough fix - just a dab of good glue where the head & pedestal meet.
    The point is that Gilmour's QC isn't what it used to be

    ReplyDelete