Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Product Review: Fellowes Powershred W-11C 11 Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder

A must have!

One of the way to protect identity theft is paper threading all your important papers before throwing them out. I have been paper threading for many years and this is my third Fellows paper threader and I am quite pleased with it.

I LIKE:
1. This shredder cuts horizontally and vertically, so you output is confetti not paper strips (this is the cross-cut feature). Confetti output is harder to reconstruct and thus more secure.
2. It can can through credit cards so I no longer need to cut them with scissors.
3. It can handle staples so I don't have to waste time removing them
4. I like the handle which  makes it easier to lift the shredder top for emptying.
To empty the bin you need to lift the shredding mechanism from the basket. The shredding mechanism is fairly heavy.  While shopping for a new shredder I evaluated console mode shredders (rather than waste basket style like this one) and they were easier to empty because because you don't need to remove the shredding mechanism, however they were more expensive.  This Fellows model makes removing the top easier because it has a built in handle.
5. It has a wide mouth (9 inches) so you don't need good aim to feed it paper
6. It can handle 11 pages at a time, although I feed it fewer at a time (see lessons learned from demise of previous shredders below)
7. Shuts off automatically when full

I DON'T LIKE:
1. It does not shred CD/DVD. I use Norazza data destroyer and very pleased with it [[ASIN:B000234LAK Norazza DD3001A CD and DVD Data Destroyer]]

LESSONS LEARNED FROM DEMISE OF PREVIOUS PAPER SHREDDERS
This is my third shredder, from killing my two previous shredders I learned several simple tricks to prolong their life:
1. Use lubricating oil to avoid freezing the mechanism [[ASIN:B00006I58N Fellowes Shredder Oil, 12 oz. Bottle with Extension Nozzle (35250)]]
2. Use about half of the sheets the manufactory claims to be able to handle to avoid jamming the shredder.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment