Friday, February 17, 2012

Book review: Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs, Cords, Appliques, Colors, Nouveau by Nicky Epstein

Stunning designs!

I first got this book in a library, it was so good that I purchased a copy of my own as I know it will become a reference book for many of my projects. This is my first book by this Nicky Epstein, but when I was in the library I looked through both "Knitting over the edge" and "Knitting on the edge" and "Knitted flowers" and found that "Knitting over the edge" had more projects that looked interesting to me. It also had a nice variety of over the edge, applique, ribs and cords projects where the other two books were more "specialized".

I love making unique looking projects, and technique of knitting over the edge really helps me achieve this goal. The patterns may look complex, but they are not difficult and really enhance the look of your knitted pieces.

The goal of the book it to show different ways of finishing and decorating the edge of the garment: ribs, fringes, loops, tussles, and more. My favorite are cords. I've never seen the unique approach the author demonstrates of decorating the edge with loops and circles made with knitted cords! I also liked the knitted applique which you see in the cover image.

The book is illustrated with wonderful photos, they really make the projects and ideas in your head come alive. The book has 160 pages, and over 350 edging ideas.

I really appreciated that the author showed how different techniques look when done in different yarns, it really changes the look and it is helpful to see the outcome on the pages of the book before you try it yourself.

My only complaint about this beautiful book that some pages are printed in white font on pink background, and for my presbyopic eyes the contrast is too low to see well. This book is 190 pages and only 5 or 6 pages have a pink background, but unfortunately the table of content is one of them, so I have to strain when I refer to it.

Most knitting books contain mistakes, and so does Knitting Over the Edge.

You can find correction this way:

1. Go to www.sixthandspringbooks.com web site (I located it from Vogue Knitting)

2. On the bottom left you will see a link for "corrections" (just above "customer service" link)

3. When you click on the link it will bring up a page which will allow you to select a book by title/author

4. Then you can select "Knitting over the edge"

5. I am including the content of the current errata at the end of this review

I am working on my second project from this book and looking forward to many more!


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


--------------------------------------------------------

The current errata includes:

--------------------------------------------------------

Cabbage Rose

page 97

Row 7 Knit into front and back of st; rep from * to end--80 sts.

Row 8 Purl.

Bind off.

-----------------------------------------------------

LEAVES

See Garter Stitch Leaf in American Beauty Rose Capelet pattern, page 186.

-----------------------------------------------------

Open Tubes

page 168

Row 2 K3, *p5, k3; rep from * to end.

-----------------------------------------------------

American Beauty Rose Capelet

photo on page 88, instructions on page 185

LEFT FRONT

Cast on 39 (43, 47) sts. Work same as back...AT THE SAME TIME, when piece measures 10 (10.75, 11.50)"/25.5 (27, 29)cm from beg, end with a RS row and work as foll:

Neck shaping

Next row (WS) Bind off

-----------------------------------------------------

Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment