Monday, January 11, 2021

Product review: MYWHITENG UV Light Sanitizer Bag with Ozone - This sanitizer work, passed the banana test


 
UV Light Sanitizer Bag UV Cleaning Box with Ozone is the third sanitizer box I purchased, looking for one that can actually pass a sanitizer test described below.   This box is different from the two I have purchased before because instead of having six small LED lights, this sanitizer has a tube UVC BULB.  This sanitizer did much better on my test than the other two sanitizers I have tested.

All sanitizers I have purchased looked great, and the specs say the right things, but I wanted to be sure that they actually generated enough UVC light to disinfect.  How can someone without real testing equipment tell if the UVC light produced by a sanitizer box actually produces the light in the UVC spectrum and that it is strong enough to disinfect a handful of N95 masks I purchased ten years ago? 

Before I purchased my first sanitizer bag, I did a bit of research. I found an article in Discover Magazine, By Jeanne Erdmann, published on August 3, 2020, "UV Light Wands Are Supposed to Kill Viruses. But Do They Really Work?". You can find this article online to read the details yourself (access to the article is free).  This article describes the "banana" test and provides references to YouTube videos that demonstrate how to do this test. The tests show that UVC light changes the color of the banana skin to brown color.  To make the color change more apparent, a portion of the banana is covered by tape, so when you peel the tape off, you can clearly see the difference for the products producing enough UVC light to disinfect. If the banana color is unchanged, the product does not generate enough UVC light to disinfect.

I performed the banana test on the MYWHITENG box, which you can see in the attached video. The first thing I noticed is that there was a powerful Ozone odor after the test when I opened the box. Ozone is well known for disinfecting properties.  The banana did not change the color immediately after the test, which it would do with a strong UVC exposure. However, the next day, as the banana continued to ripen, I could clearly see stripes on the side of the banana facing the bulb.  So, I believe this box does disinfect. I believe it does it mostly with Ozone but also some with UVC. Given that the banana changed color only on one side, I decided it would be best to flip the masks and rerun the disinfection cycle.

I also liked that this box has a timer, and you can choose how long you want to run the sanitizer.  In my test, I ran the box for 15 minutes.  The bulb has a lifespan of 1500 hours. I really hope the pandemic is over before I run the box for 1500 hours.

I finally found the box I feel comfortable with. Hope this review was helpful, and stay healthy, all!

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.

Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment