Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Product review: Mercase USB Condenser Microphone in use with Win10 and Linux


 

I use Mercase microphone with  Windows 10 and Fedora Linux. Both operating systems recognized the microphone immediately. I did not need to reboot either of the machines.  

On Windows 10, I needed to give the application permission to connect. On Linux, I had to select this microphone from Hardware preferences/Sound/Input.  The microphone also is recognized as a sound output device by default (the microphone has an audio plug for a headset).  If you want to use your computer speakers, you will need to disable the microphone as the output device.  If you can't hear the other side on your web conference call, it is because the sound is going to the microphone, not your speakers.  This step tripped me up the first time I started using the microphone, and I wanted to mention it.

How does it work?  


+ I like the stand that comes with the microphone. It has a heavy base and is very sturdy.  At the same time, the stand and the mic are both fairly compact.
 

+ I like the controls on the microphone. For example, I can mute the mic and see a big red light rather than the green light, which indicates the microphone is turned on and people can hear me.
 

- I was told the other side could hear me, but the sound was not as loud and crisp as my old microphone.  However, the old microphone stand is a little tripod that keeps falling over, so I was hoping to replace it.
I hope I will be able to improve the Mercase mic's loudness by fidgeting with the setting in the configuration.

Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

You can find it on Amazon by following this link. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment