Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Product review: Schwarzkopf Professional Essensity Hair Color, 4-68



Like many folks due to Corona Virus, I am not able to visit my hairdresser for several months, and the greys in my hair did not look good. I decided to color my own hair for the first time in my life.

In the last few months, I purchased three different Schwarzkopf colors, with 4-68 being the latest. I tried 4.0 Cappuccino kit, then Schwarzkopf Essensity 4.0, and this time Schwarzkopf Essensity 4-68.

They all gave me a dark brown color. I hope to add a bit more red with 4-68 but really did not notice a big difference compared to 4.0.

I was pleasantly surprised that Schwarzkopf Hair Color did not spell bad (note that the left-over color starts smelling bad overnight, so dispose of it before the smell develops). The overall process was pretty straightforward, and the color looks good and natural. I like the results of all three of my own color jobs.

I am writing this review three weeks after I applied a 4-68 color to see how it is holding up, and it is doing okay. By that, I mean that the roots lost some of the color, but the hair still looks acceptable. I can tell it will not last as long as the salon color job (I could go five weeks in between colors and with a home job I felt I had to reapply every four weeks), but it cost me eight times less, so it is not bad if I have to do it every four weeks.

The package includes only the tube of color; you need to buy the developer separately. I got Schwarzkopf (Schwarzkopf Essensity Oil Developer- 5.5% / 18 Volume- 33.8 oz). Since I use about 1 oz for each color, this developer bottle will last me for 34 applications. For my short hair, I use half of the tube of color. The package does not include a brush to spread the color, mixing container or gloves.

I started by applying chapstick around my hairline, so the color does not stick to the skin (I read about this tip on-line). Then I mixed the color and the developer.

I used the brush to paint color on my scalp, first around the hairline, then all over the scalp. I used my gloved hands to work the color into the hair and scalp and left the color on my head for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I applied more color to the rest of the hair and again worked it with my hands. I waited another 6 minutes and then got into the shower to wash off the color. Note that I was wearing a t-shirt, and even though I did not really care about it, I realized that if I were to take it off before the shower, I would get the color all over it, so I got into the shower wearing the t-shirt.

One of the fears I had is that the color will stain my shower, my shower curtain, the walls, etc. Those fears were unsubstantiated. Once the water began running clear, I saw that there was no staining on the tub, walls, or shower curtain.

The entire coloring session took about an hour, including all the prep steps. I have short hair, and about half of the tube of color remained unused. I am pleased with the results and plan to do it again in four weeks.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.

Ali Julia review ★★★★★




No comments:

Post a Comment