Saturday, October 21, 2017

Food Review: Cha Wu Grade A and Grade B Fruity Tieguanyin Oolong Tea






The taste of Oolong ranges hugely among various sub-varieties.  It can be sweet and fruity, or woody and thick with roasted aromas, or green and fresh, all depending on the horticulture and style of production.

I got Tie Guan Yin of two variety Grade A and Grade B. There is no one world wide standard system for grading tea, the grading system used for this tea is called Cha Wu Grading and it ranges from D (lowest quality) to SS (highest quality).  This is the order from low to high: D, C, B, A, AA, S, SS.


I like both teas but definitely can taste the difference between the two teas, which is especially pronounced when I drink the tea cold. Both teas feel very refreshing.   Grade A has a sweet flavor, no bitter after taste.  I thought it tasted similar to the teas in a Chinese restaurants, but a little less astringent.  After I swallow there is a pleasant after glow taste in my mouth. 

Grade B had a unique flavor, I have not been exposed to it before. It has a slight more tart and slightly bitter taste and the tea was slightly deeper color (I seeped them from the the pot and for the same amount of time). The flavor dissipated faster than the Grade A tea.

These loose teas come in foil lined bags with a lock at the top (similar to coffee pack bags).

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★


No comments:

Post a Comment