Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Product review: UNU Ultrapak Tour 10000mAH External Battery Pack


This battery performed pretty well with my phone and iPadMini tablet (I am including a couple of test results below), however there is a couple of cons that made this battery pack not very convenient for me.

First, to charge the battery you need to use a large power adapter with a round connector. The battery cannot be recharged using an USB cable. The plug takes up more than one spot on the power strip, so I am finding hard to find a good place for it to be plugged in. It is also too large for travel. I prefer power packs that use standard USB cables so I can plug it into a regular USB adapter.

It has a nice easy to read digital display showing the capacity of the battery, however this read out appears not to be reliable. What I mean is that it goes from showing a decent amount if charge left to empty so quickly that it is not predictable.

The battery has two ports and a flashlight. The flashlight is quite small and very dim (see video). It is not useful.

Size: 5 3/8" x 2 3/4" x 3/4"
Weight: 9.3 oz
Capacity: 10,000 mAh
Charge through charging: yes (i.e. can charge while being charged)

To see how well different external batteries charge my mobile devices I use a Nexus phone and an iPadMini to test each of them. The current drawn on each port depends on each device using the charger. The port rated with a maximum capacity of 2A does not always deliver 2A, what is actually delivered is controlled by the device based on many factors such running apps, level of charge, and so forth. I always use the same two devices and I do my tests with the devices charged to the same level, running the same applications and using the same cables to keep everything the same. This allows me to do a relative comparison of various chargers and identify the ones that do not perform well. Note that these tests are not testing for the maximum current each device can draw on each port as I don't have a device that maxes out the output.

Both my devices did well. I am including the details of the tests below for those who like to see the technical details.

★ Test Results:
======================

✔ Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone
--------------------------
port 1: 0.99A / 5.01V (good)
port 2: 0.98A / 5.01V (good)
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V)

✔ iPadMini
--------------------------
port 1: 0.93A / 5.01V (typical for 1A port)
port 2: 1.36A / 5.01V (good for 2A port)
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V)

Even though I am getting pretty reasonable charging out of this battery the cons I listed at the start of this review make it just an okay power pack in comparison to other battery packs I am using.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment