Saturday, November 8, 2014

Product review: 5w Wedge White LED Light Bulb (dome, map, door, trunk) - not for Honda CRV


My car's user manual did not the describe the type of bulbs I have in my dome, map, and cargo lights.Turns out some cars have bulbs which have two contacts on one end (they are mounted vertically) and other cars have bulbs which have contacts on opposite sides (they are mounted horizontally). These lights are compatible with bulbs that have contacts on one side and are mounted vertically. After I got the lights and opened the cover I discovered that my car (Honda CRV) has the bulbs that are mounted horizontally, so these bulbs did not work in my car. In attached video I show how I removed the light cover (this is the trickiest part of the install and I hope people will find it helpful) and what I did to test to bulb and putting the cover back on (which again is a generic operation and should be helpful for any light cover).

Finally, since I wanted to have some way to test if the bulbs in the package I received work and to see how bright they were I used a car jumper cables (they run at 12V just like the car) to turn on a couple of the lights. As you see in the video they worked, and they produced a bright white light. LED lights are a diod and polarity matters, which means the current flows in one direction, so if the bulb does not work on the initial attempt flip the contacts to change the direction of the current flow. Note that 12V is a very low level of current and it you touch the wires by hand it will not hurt.

Bulb size: 1.125" long, 0.25" at the widest part.

Overall, the lights produced nice bright light. Its too bad that my car does not take these bulbs but this, as they say, is a user error not the issue with the bulbs themselves. If you are not sure what type of a bulb you have (or don't realize there is more than one type as was the case with me) open one of your covers before ordering.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment