Friday, May 24, 2013

Product review: DB-Tech BD-WA65 Battery Operated Water Alarm with a 6 Foot Detachable Sensor


DB-Tech Water alarm is a 2.5" by 4" unit that has a water sensor and electronic alarm. The water sensor is located at the end of a 66 inch cord which allows the unit to be mounted above any potential water line. The back of the unit has holes for mounting screws. However I do not have a wall within 66 inches, so I just placed the water alarm on top of the water heater, as the cord was long enough to reach the floor with a bit of slack. If the cord was not long enough to place on top of the water heater, my back up plan was to attach the unit to the water heater with some duck tape.
 I have been using a water alarm for my water heater since I had some water damage a few years ago. In the attached video I replaced my current water alarm with the DB-Tech Water alarm. You will notice the water tray under my water heater which was installed the last time the water heater was replaced. As you will see the water alarm is very sensitive, it really does not need a water tray to fill to sound the alarm. 
 
In the video I show how to extend the cord, install the battery, and then take it down to the basement where a quarter of the cup of water makes it squawk. The alarm is not very loud, I am likely to hear it on the first floor above the basement but not on the second floor especially if the TV is on.
 
To summarize:
1. Very sensitive, alarm sets off with a small amount of water
2. Reliable, alarm went off in every test I tried
3. Not loud enough to hear everywhere in the house when it is mounted in the basement
4. Mounting might require some creativity

I received a sample unit from manufacture to share my experience with the alarm (be they positive or negative) the with potential future buyers. I addressed pluses and minuses of the unit, and overall recommend it. This inexpensive device can save you a lot of money by preventing water damage.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★☆


No comments:

Post a Comment