Monday, April 30, 2012

Product review: Ames True Temper Decorative Free Standing Metal Hose Hanger

This decorative hanger looks good, but I found it to be hard to install. Photo of installed hanger with annotation comments is attached under customer photos.

The hose hanger comes in two sections. The bottom part is about 12 inches. You have to drive in first, then insert to the top part, screw down the two screws (at the point you are working at ground level) and then need to drive down assembled hanger some more to hide the screws. The spike ends with a pretty blunt edge, so you need to push hard to drive it into the ground. I was using the hammer and 2 by 4, but eventually found that stepping on top of it and putting all my weight on it worked best. Screwing the bolts requires a wrench to turn and wise grips to hold the nut. Working at the ground level was very difficult, I actually had to dig a hole to give me better access to the bottom bolt. After the hanger was assembled both bolts were still visible and the entire hanger was somewhat wobbly. I wanted to drive it down another couple of inches, but was unable to do so despite working on with a hammer (over 2 by 4) for quite some time.

The hanger itself looks rust resistant, but the bolts and nuts are not. Both are above the ground (one at the ground level, the second one about an inch higher), so they are visible and exposed. They are somewhat unsightly and I suspect they will rust.

Despite being somewhat wobbly it looks good and holds the water hose very conveniently. It takes me less time and less effort to put away the water hose, than using a water hose caddy with a crank I used before. After a back surgery I had trouble bending down to crank, and this stand allows me to coil the hose without bending.

If the spike had a sharp point, or if it had a step on which you can step to drive it down the installation would have been easier. For that reason I am rating the hanger with 4 stars.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment