Friday, February 12, 2016

Product review: Yowosmart 18-Outlet Home / Office Surge Protector Tower Power Strip


This listing combines several different tower strips. My review is for the 4 level power strip.

Tower power strips work very well in tight spaces. I have one behind the TV, and this Yowosmart tower lives behind my computer. I don't have a lot of room there and I need a lot of outlets - both AC and USB powered - and this tower is perfect in that space. The AC outlets are well spaced out. I am able to mount two large chargers next to each, no outlets are blocked! This is a very clever design.

The strip has a 72" cord and a regular size plug. The cord retracts, but to retract the cord everything needs to be unplugged as the entire tower rotates.

In addition to 8 AC outlets this tower also has 4 USB outlets. I tested each USB port with a current monitor an Android device and an Apple device. I saw that it charged my Android phone at an optimal rate on each outlet. iPadMini performed well at at optimal rate on one port (2A). Performance on 2 others were typical for 1A port but not optimal for iPadMini, and one port delivered only USB level of performance.

To see how well different chargers and external batteries charge my mobile devices I use a Nexus phone and an iPadMini to test each of them. I do my tests with the devices charged to the same level, running the same applications and using the same cables to keep everything the same. This allows me to compare them to each other in a fair way. I use the current monitor to see what current is delivered to each device which tells me how well each external battery is working.

Samsung Nexus phone:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 port: 1.02A/4.99V (excellent)
2 port: 1.00A/5.01V (excellent)
3 port: 0.99A/4.99V (excellent)
4 port: 0.98A/5.01V (excellent)
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V)

iPad Mini tablet:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 port: 0.93A/5.02V (average for 1A)
2 port: 0.47A/4.99V (not good, USB rate)
3 port: 1.24A/5.02V (good)
4 port: 0.93A/5.01V (average for 1A)
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V)

I love the shape of this power strip, it gave me more than enough outlets in the area which barely has any space.

This power strip is provided by Yowosmart for testing and review. Getting a free product to test does not prevent me from leaving critical reviews when the product warrant it. However, this is not one of them.

You can find "Yowosmart 18-Outlet Tower Power Strip"


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment