Friday, September 7, 2018

Product review: Blazedrive Wifi Hard Drive Enclosures for 2.5" hard drive



What attracted me to this disk enclosure that it allows an external disk to be accessible in three ways: WIFI, USB 3.0, and via Ethernet cable.  Unfortunately, I could not get it to work at all. I am an engineer by profession, and have dealt with numerous wireless devices at work and at home.

What you get is an enclosure for a disk, the disk you need to provide yourself.  I purchase a 500G Seagate SSD drive to use in this enclosure. The drive has to be formatted in either 32 FAT or NTF format, so I started with mounting it directly in my computer and formatting it. I was able to access  without any problems when it was mounted directly in my computer.  However, I was not able to detect the drive when it was mounted in the enclosure.

The drive supposed to show up as Blazedrive in WI HI hot spots. Per manual I installed the app called "Blazedrive" from Google Playstore.  The manual said that this app should be used to detect and configure the drive (e.g. change password from the default provided in the manual).

The app was not able to detect the drive.  I was not able to see a Blazedrive hot spot neither in my WIFI network connections nor via the app.

I have tried:
1. I fully charged the drie and tried connecting when running from battery.
2. I tried running the app and connecting while the drive was plugged into AC source
3. I tried rebooting the drive and rebooting the phone
4. I tried the reset button located next to the charging port


I also tried connecting the enclosure with the drive to USB 3.0 port directly to the computer, then to USB 2.0 PORT directly to the computer and then using an Ethernet cable.  None of the attempts worked.  I returned the drive and received a replacement which worked exactly the same way.

I also want to add one other piece of information missing from Amazon description and the manual, but listed on the back of the enclosure itself: the detailed specs for the interface:

WIFI 2.4G/802.11 BGNL 300Mps

I have both 2.4G and 5G hot spots in my house and I made sure my phone was connected to 2.4G network.

Final note:  When I attempted to use the app without being able to connect the drive I was prompted to download an update from the vendor directry, not from Google app store.  Such updates are not safe as they have not undergone Google security checks and I did not take it as this is this is the safe computing practicing if one does not want to install software with viruses and spyware.  If the vendor has a safe update there is no reason why they would not put it in the GooglePlay store.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.

Ali Julia review ★☆☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment