Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Product review: Sony Alpha SEL1855 E-mount 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens


I wound up purchasing this lens twice.  The first lens as part of the original SONY NEX-5 purchase in 2011, and then again in 2013 when I dropped the camera from a tripod on a stone and broke not the glass but the plastic casing around the lens. So be aware that the camera lightness comes from using materials more fragile than heavy metal.

Five years later I am still happy with the decision I made. I use the camera almost every day. I find it to be reliable under various lightening conditions, it is fairly light and portable compared to my Canon SLR. Its weight is 18-55 6.9 oz (194g). It has a standard Sony E-mount and filter diameter is 49 mm. The lens came with both caps.

The only negative thing I can say that it cracked because parts of the lens are made out plastic. However, that is what makes the lens lighter than my Canon zoom lenses.

In attached photo you see New York skyline taken at dusk (hand held) and below it I show super zoomed in areas to show the sharpness of the image in different areas of the shot - you see that the center of the shot (photo 2) is sharper than the edges (photo 1 and photo 2). I think it did a nice job given the lightning conditions and no tripod.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment