Friday, August 8, 2014

Product review: TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Nexus 5 overheating


This is a really cool looking Qi charger that makes it easy to view the phone while it is charging. I also found that it is less likely to get accidental knocked off the sweet spot while in this stand charger than it is laying flat on the night table. I really liked until I noticed how hot my phone gets on it. Turns out this is a problems specific to my phone, LG Nexus 5.

NEXUS 5 WARNING
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have been using it for a couple of weeks and noticed that it gets quite hot when I charge it. I went to TYLT web site and under "Positioning guide" for VU charger found a warning that applies only to LG Nexus 5 phones. Apparently Nexus 5 has a lot of metal in the back door and that causes it to experience abnormal temperature increases. TYLT provides a 3 step procedure for position the phone in the cradle which I included in my video for reference. To see the full position guide visit the tylt.com web site, click on the image of this charger on the home page, and then locate "Position guide" half way down the page dedicated to VU wireless charger.

The 3 step procedure seems to help, but I am still somewhat nervous leaving the phone in the charger overnight. I use it during the day when I can keep an eye on it and to take advantage of the stand that allows me to see my phone.

COMPARISON TO OTHER QI CHARGER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I own several Qi wireless chargers and I really like the geometry of this charger. It keeps the phone in the right position to charge and it is less likely to be moved off the sweet spot due to the stand-like shape. I am also able to view and use the phone easily while it is charging.

I run the same test on all my Qi chargers so I can compare them to each other. I start all tests at the same charge level of the phone to account for non-linear charging rate. VU charger fell in the middle of the pack.

This charger does not have a charging indicator that tells me that the phone is charging. I need to look at the phone charging indicator to get this information. For a Qi charger a charging indicator is important as it confirm that the phone has not shifted off the sweet spot.

TYLT Vu size: 7.5 inches, 3.5 inches, 3.5 inches. Its weight is 5.55 oz.
It uses a round connector attached to a fairly large AC plug. However, the plug is designed to be long and slim so it only takes up one slot on the power strip.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆


No comments:

Post a Comment